YOUTH INITIATIVES WORKING GROUP
The Youth Initiatives Working Group is one of six provincially-led task groups under the Atlantic Workforce Partnership. Its mandate is to work on shared supports to youth retention, particularly related to labour market attachment opportunities. Improving labour market planning for youth, opportunities supporting transitions to work, and employer engagement on youth hiring represent areas of interest in collaborative work for all four Atlantic Provinces.
Atlantic Youth Best Practices Workshop
On September 17-18, 2019, the working group hosted an Atlantic Best Practices Workshop in order to highlight innovative provincial youth projects and initiatives. This workshop provided participants the opportunity to:
- Gain knowledge on designing, monitoring and evaluating innovative youth programs and policies.
- Identify regional issues and approaches to address barriers to youth in the labour market.
- Progress innovative collaborations to address youth workforce challenges in the Atlantic Region.
- Enhance awareness of the interactions between Federal and Provincial Governments.
- Gain knowledge of Federal/Provincial programing including potential funding support.
- Identify projects or initiatives for joint Atlantic collaboration.
- Generate ideas for areas of research or further investigation.
For more information on the workshop and to view presentations, please see the following links:
Workshop Agenda and Presenter Bios
Youth Engagment Panel Discussion
Centre for Employment Innovation at St. FX
Centre for Ocean Ventures and Entrepreneurship
Future Ready NB
Inspiring Success (NS)
Newfoundland and Labrador Workforce Innovation Centre
Nova Scotia Employability Skills Pilot
Prince Edward Island Youth in Trades
Royal Bank of Canada - Humans Wanted/Future Launch
SEAM & STAR (PEI)
Social Innovation Lab on African Nova Scotian Youth Employment
Team Food Island (PEI)
Youth Recruitment Strategies Research Project
The Youth Initiatives Working Group undertook a review of innovative and successful industry-led recruitment and retention strategies targeting youth as one of its key 2016-2017 work plan deliverables. Produced in October 2016, the Youth Recruitment Strategies Research Project’s Final Report addresses the following objectives:
- Summarize the labour market context of youth (Atlantic provinces and Pan-Canadian);
- Identify innovative and successful recruitment and retention strategies implemented by industry (Atlantic, Pan-Canadian, and International);
- Summarize potential challenges and gaps identified by key stakeholders (Atlantic, Pan-Canadian and International); and
- Identify youth recruitment and retention strategies that may be utilized to inform areas of future collaboration.
Click here to view the Youth Recruitment Strategies Research Project: Final Report.